The fact that I'm not finishing this blog post until it's a day late is right on track with the crazy couple of weeks I've had!
You know those kinds of weeks that you'd just like to put BEHIND you?
Good grief, this week had some trials and tribulations. I'm following this list of frown-worthy events with a list of random stuff that made me smile. Bear with me here.
5 Things that made me sigh, cry, or get a zit (or most likely, all three)
1. My Dad was in the hospital for a couple of days because of some chest pains. Thankfully, he had a heart cath yesterday and blockage is minimal and can be controlled with medication. We are all breathing a sigh of relief and saying a prayer of thanks.
2. My teaching partner experienced the death of a close friend.
3. The weather people predicted a MEGA snowstorm, but we only got a little bit AND we burned YET another snow day. Ugh!
4. I have no less than 80 BAZILLION papers to grade this weekend.
5. I got a new student with some moderate behavior issues on a day that I had a sub. Sub nightmare!
That felt good to get out there. Thanks for continuing to read!
Now...for the featured event! Doodle Bugs puts on a fun linky each Friday and I'm finally participating!
I'm in a much better place thinking of five randoms from my week (or in my case, perhaps, the last couple of weeks) that gave me the warm fuzzies :)
Here we go!
1. I did it. I caved. I bought the highly-rated pencil sharpener from Classroom Friendly Supplies! I've been reading rave reviews for MONTHS on various teaching blogs & after scraping my knuckles for the LAST TIME on my wall-mounted sharpener in my room, I had to do something. After buying numerous electric sharpeners that wore out easily or never really worked that well to begin with, I was wary of buying another $25 classroom accessory that was just going to make me remorseful.
Oh, that is NOT going to be the case with this baby!
It. Is. Awesome.
I promise, if you buy this you won't be sorry. Super sharp pencils for days, the kids can operate the fun sharpener themselves (I've added it as a classroom job- it's currently the coveted position), and it's made really well. I know it's going to last a long time! Super-score!
Sorry Mrs. Colon
I messed up
Bless her little heart. If you knew this sweet girl, you'd know that she LOVES fiercely! Loves everything. School, her family, breakfast pizza, gym day! She is all over the place, staticky hair everywhere, always wearing a big smile and ready to give hugs--she is pretty amazing. I truly believe she felt like doing poorly on her spelling test hurt my feelings.
She is just that kind of wonderfully sweet.
My goodness, I'm so lucky to be able to do what I do.
3. Dental health week is always a mixture of gross and fun! We did the egg-soaked-in-different-things experiment and had some, uh, interesting results. As predicted, the water-soaked egg came out nice and white and the milk-soaked egg, while not becoming "soggy"(ha!) as shown above, also came out of the solution no worse than when it went in.
Then we got to the "soda" egg that was soaked in cola.
Needless to say, that egg got cracked sometime in between taking it out of the fridge and using it in my room. After we all got over the gross-ness of it all (I mean, come on, it's brown!) and dried it off, it actually looked pretty cool. The bubbles were kind of firm. Thankfully, we were still able to put some toothpaste on a toothbrush and brush some of the "yuckiness" off. Mission: accomplished (with the added bonus of weird egg bubbles). Success! Sidenote: I also did the egg-in-vinegar experiment which is SO COOL!)
4. My best friend cracks me up.
This was a little cheer-up after having my wisdom teeth out--which, by the way, went BEAUTIFULLY! Hardly any swelling or pain. Woot!
We have exchanged SO many face-in-hole photos over the years. We're pretty good at it by now!
5. I very well may be a grocery store nerd.
That's okay. There are worse things to be.
While my favorite local grocery store has begun to offer some organic produce, the selection is pretty minimal. That's why when I have a dentist appointment 30 minutes away I start to look forward to grabbing some produce at Kroger.
Check those greens out!
That's it! Thanks for hanging in there with me!
Enjoy the weekend, friends!